Call us Get a Quote
Full Guide

Personal accident

insurance for expats

Accidents can happen anywhere, any time. Personal accident insurance protects you and your family in the event of accidental injury or death. Find out how a personal accident plan can help.

What is personal accident insurance?

While your international health insurance covers for the costs of treatment, if your injury is serious or life-changing, you could find yourself unable to work and provide for your family.

That’s where a personal accident plan can help – by providing a lump sum in compensation, you and your loved ones can be secure in the knowledge your essential expenses are covered.


Read Our Members Reviews feefo
4.4 Based on 1415 member reviews

Why do you need need personal accident insurance?

Accidents come in all shapes and sizes, and for families living abroad, the consequences can be disastrous.

Of the 10,545 reported American deaths abroad (2012–2015), around 30% were the result of road traffic incidents, 20% were the result of homicide, 12% were due to drowning and “other accidents” (including slips, trips and falls) accounted for around 10%.

Personal accident insurance can’t turn back the clock, but it canprovide a safety net for you and your loved ones in the aftermath of a serious accident.

William Russell Brand Icon - Care, Protection

Protect yourself from loss of income

If an accident leaves you unable to work, your personal accident insurance provides a lump-sum of compensation to support you and your family.

Expat stress Experience things that make expats feel ostracised from their new societies

Covers a range of possible scenarios

Whether an accident sustained at work, a road traffic accident, a slip, trip or fall, or an accident resulting in permanent disability or the loss of body parts, you’ll find a level of cover to suit your needs.

Why take personal accident insurance with William Russell?

William Russell is one of the leading providers of expat insurance with three decades of experience working in over 180 countries.

Our personal accident insurance is a great way to increase the cover provided by your international health insurance, allowing you to upgrade to a plan that suits you and your budget.

With William Russell, you can be sure that if you suffer severe injury or death as a result of an accident while living abroad, we’ll provide compensation to you or your loved ones so you don’t have to worry about paying the bills.

If you’ve been involved in an accident while living in a foreign country, we have a team of people here to support you 24 hours a day.

Want to learn more about other benefits?

Learn more about our plans

What kinds of accidents will I be covered for?

Personal accident insurance covers you for a broad range of possible scenarios, but some of the most common types of accidents we cover include:

  • Road traffic accidents
  • Accidents sustained at work
  • Slips, trips and falls
  • Permanent disability and loss of body parts

What’s not covered?

There are certain situations that won’t be covered by personal accident insurance:

  1. In the case of road traffic accidents, exclusions apply where injuries result from a failure to follow local laws, such as: travelling in a motorised vehicle as a driver or passenger where the driver does not have a valid license and insurance; driving while intoxicated on drugs or alcohol, as deemed by local laws regulating breath and blood alcohol or other drug content; and road traffic accidents where the injured person failed to wear the right safety equipment (including, but not limited to helmets and seatbelts) may also be excluded.
  2. We don’t cover for accidental death if your death results from war, warlike activities, military action, acts of foreign hostilities (whether or not war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, usurped power, mutiny, riot, strike, martial law, state of siege, attempted overthrow of government, any acts of terrorism, murder, attempted murder, kidnap (including attempted kidnap or attempted rescue from kidnapping), or assault of any kind (irrespective of whether the insured person is an active participant in any of the above activities or merely an innocent bystander).
  3. Suicide, or injuries suffered through attempted suicide are also excluded from claims, along with any intentionally self-inflicted injuries, including those related to substance abuse such as alcohol or drug addictions.
  4. You are not covered for accidents that take place while participating in hazardous activities, unless that activity is specifically outlined in the limits of your personal policy.
Explore other benefits of our plans
Emergency medical evacuation
I have always had a very good level of service from William Russell and the medical plans offered are, in my opinion, the most comprehensive I have found.
G.B., Malaysia
William Russell Member

Enjoy optional personal accident plan -
it is available with all our health plans

With the personal accident plan, we’ll pay you a cash lump-sum benefit if an accident results in your death, loss of sight, loss of limb or your permanent and total disablement within 2 years of the accident.

Any time you need us

You can call our 24/7 emergency medical helpline

Choose your hospital

You're free to choose which hospital you visit for treatment

Worldwide network

We have a worldwide network of hospitals and doctors to call upon

Enjoy peace of mind, no matter where you live and work abroad

Get a Quote

How much does personal accident insurance cost?

When you take out international health insurance through William Russell, you have the option to add cover for personal accidents while abroad. The additional cost of personal accident cover on top of your existing health insurance policy will be proportional to the level of cover you take out, the excess you choose and your personal circumstances.

We offer five levels of upgradable cover, with prices starting from US$9.45, £6.13 or €9.45 per month.

The following quotes are based on a healthy adult who has an office job and does not participate in hazardous activities:

Maximum Benefit

Monthly Premium

US$75,000 or £50,000 or €75,000
US$9.45 or £6.13 or €9.45
US$150,000 or £100,000 or €150,000
US$18.90 or £12.26 or €18.90
US$225,000 or £150,000 or €225,000
US$28.35 or £18.39 or €28.35
US$300,000 or £200,000 or €300,000
US$37.80 or £24.52 or €37.80
US$375,000 or £250,000 or €375,000
US$47.25 or 30.65 or €47.25
What Sharon, our medical expert, says
"The optional personal accident plan is available with all health plans. It’s a great way to increase the cover provided by your health plan without breaking the bank."

FAQs on personal accident

Yes, our personal accident plans can be used to boost cover on any William Russell international health insurance policy.

Choose from the five different levels of personal accident cover to suit your budget and personal requirements, then continue to pay according to your usual schedule. 

The cost of your personal accident insurance will depend on your age, occupation and your area of cover (the part of world you’ll be living in). There are five different levels of upgradable cover, with prices starting from US$9.45, £6.13 or €9.45 per month for a US$75,000, £50,000 or €75,000 cash benefit.

Our premiums are based on a healthy adult who has an office job and does not take part in hazardous activities.

Yes, William Russell personal accident insurance can be added onto any of our international health insurance policies.

This means you can boost cover for everyone covered under your health insurance plan, your partner and your children.

In most cases, we can only provide insurance to expats. By expat, we mean people living and working outside of their country of nationality (e.g., a Dutch national living in Taiwan or a Canadian national living in India).

Typically, our members reside permanently in a foreign country. But we can sometimes provide cover to people expecting to spend at least 6 months of the year living or travelling abroad. In certain countries, we can cover people living in the same country that issues their passport. These countries are Botswana, Kenya, Nigeria, Mauritius, Estonia and Malawi.

We can provide plans to people of all nationalities in most countries around the world. You must be under age 70 when your plan starts, and you must be living or working in a country different from your country of nationality.

Definition of an 'expat'

Making a claim with us is really easy.

Follow these simple steps

Global health insurance (also known as international private medical insurance) gives you access to private healthcare around the world.

While most domestic health plans only cover you in one country, international health plans cover you in multiple (or even all) countries. They’re great for people who live and work abroad, or who spend lots of time travelling. Some international medical plans also include emergency medical evacuation cover so you can access urgent treatment even if it’s not available in your location.

Find out more

Become a William Russell member today

It’s never fun to plan for the worst case scenario, but taking out a personal accident plan is the best way to ensure you and your family have the financial support you need, no matter what life throws at you.

Take out international health insurance through William Russell and enjoy peace of mind with our personal accident plan add-on. Choose your level of cover and pay monthly for an affordable boost to your general health insurance package.

William Russell offer the highest-quality healthcare and personal support, with 24/7 emergency assistance, no matter where you are in the world.

Ready to see prices? Get an online quote in under 2 minutes